Friday, May 19, 2006

Mid May Meanderings


Haven't had the energy (renewable or non-renewable) to come up with a decent entry. The markets are sliding . I understand, this may have to do with US interest rates, which may be raised to head off inflation or something. Inflation provoked by higher energy costs. What does this mean?

Meanwhile the South-East of England where I'm currently domiciled is facing "drought", this water thing has been bubbling away (if you'll excuse the pun) for a few years now.

Evo Morales and Hugo Chavez have been having their wrists smacked by the EU for choosing not to follow the privatise everything and put it in the hands of big business ideology that we all love to hate - of course taking back their energy fields is not popular. To tell you the truth, I can shake the rumba for Chavez and Morales with the best of them - but I actually know so little really about them or the politics of the region that they could both be ego-mad dictators in waiting who will just fuck over their peoples like everyone else given half the chance. You know its fun to like Castro as a great resistor of US hegemony, but you've got to feel anxious that he's not an elected figure and there's a whole lot of stuff you'd rather not hear like the oppression of gay people etc. We don't need another hero, as Tina Turner put it.

Keith just linked me up to this bit of cynicism. I could read this kind of stuff all the time, gimme some truth man. Like Michael Ventura with his Letters at 3AM for the Austin Chronicle, or James Howard Kunstler's Daily Grunt, and weekly Clusterfuck Nation Chronicle, or Charlie Brooker's Screen Burn , Julian Cope's Address Druidon. Write and tell me about some more cynics for me to seethe with.

Still making my way through The Cloudspotter's Guide so I'll tell you about that later.

No comments: