Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Blueberries

Blueberries

Planted up blueberries at the weekend, four plants, four different varieties: Chandler, Brigitta, Bluecrop and Early Crop.

They’re in containers for two reasons: 1) they’re ericaceous like me, and that’s easier to accommodate in pots; 2) it’s not my garden – so I’m limited in what I can do, and I guess this way I can take them with me when I go (without digging ‘em up).

You will notice the surface mulch of tree bark, beneath that there is a sheet layer of newspaper pages. I guess that’s about as far as I’ve got with this as any kind of ‘permaculture’ project. Although engagement with food production at all creates a shift in consciousness. It’s all organic too. But I fucked up with the compost and its got peat in it, which I didn’t really want – and how sustainable is it growing something that requires different soil conditions to what you’ve got anyway?

I chose to grow blueberries first, because I like blueberries – and I suppose they’re a ‘super-food’ if that means anything at all. I perhaps should have approached choosing plants from a sustainable point of view first – but I figured choosing something you don’t like is never going to be very sustainable is it? So let’s see how we get on with the blueberries.

No comments: